Upton House is a country house in the parish of Ratley in Warwickshire and it is in the care of the National Trust.
Upton is a long low house built of local yellow sandstone. It was considerably expanded from 1927-1929 for the 2nd Viscount Bearsted by Morley Horder who retained the Carolean style appearance of the exterior while introducing some art déco elements in the interior, particularly in the bathroom for Lady Bearsted, where the walls are covered in aluminium leaf.
A main attraction of Upton is the garden. A lawn, with huge cedar trees, sweeps gently down from the house and below is an extensive terraced garden. The garden features a kitchen garden, a series of herbaceous borders and a large lake with water lilies in a small valley. The terracing, unseen from the house and on a first visit unsuspected, contains the National Collection of Asters. In use since the 12th century, the gardens were largely transformed by Kitty Lloyd-Jones for Lady Bearsted in the 1920s and 1930s, including the creation of a rare Bog Garden on the site of medieval fish pond.
For the second time this year, the weather was kind and none of the anticipated rain arrived. Although some of the bog garden was closed and other areas of steep grass walkways were roped off, there was plenty to photograph, not least the steep stone steps that connected the top lawn with the lake at the bottom of the site.